Presse-Druck- und Verlags-GmbH
From newspaper company to media business
The history of the Augsburger Allgemeine newspaper began shortly after the war. On the 30th October 1945 Curt Frenzel was granted licence No 7 by Colonel Bernhard MacMahon, senior officer of the unit within the US military government in Bavaria responsible for controlling the media. This licence authorised Frenzel to publish a daily newspaper. The first edition of the Schwäbische Landeszeitung newspaper appeared on the streets in Augsburg on the same day. 14 years later, that is in 1959, the Schwäbische Landeszeitung became the Augsburger Allgemeine.
In the early 1960s and as a result of working together with the Allgäuer Zeitungsverlag (AZV) in Kempten, from 1968 onwards, the area of circulation expanded to cover all the Bavarian part of Swabia. Together with the local papers published under its auspices, the Augsburger Allgemeine has numbered amongst the largest German daily newspapers for many years.
In the meantime, the newspaper and publishing company has developed to become one of the largest media service providers in southern Germany, Mediengruppe Pressedruck. The newspaper is the flagship of the group, backed up with radio and television services, a call centre, internet and logistics services plus a wide range of printed and publishing products.
This means that successful cross-media packages can be put together for customers.
The family business is still 100 percent owned by the family and is managed by the third generation. The Mediengruppe Pressedruck is very closely associated with the name of its founder Curt Frenzel as well as that of the Holland publishing family, who have demonstrated a highly personal commitment to social concerns for almost forty years.
The "Emergency register", the welfare organisation founded by the editor Ellinor Holland, has collected more than 25 million Euro in donations in this period to help people in the region who have fallen upon hard times through no fault of their own.